V-MEN LAUNCHES in Bukavu, DRC!
On 7 March, a historic moment took place in South Kivu, DRC when a group of 20 men from the surrounding area launched V-Men Congo. Lead by Dr. Denis Mukwege, the "Godfather" of the International V-Men movement, this group of lawyers, teachers, doctors, athletes, activists, military men, and policeman, have been meeting in Bukavu for the past several months, designing a vision of what the movement looks like in Congo, and what it means to be a V-Man.
The launch event, held on the eve of International Women's Day, included a public reading of the V-Men Congo proclamation, done in chorus by the 20 men including Marcellin Cishambo Ruhoya, Governor of South Kivu, who will go on to sponsor a national gathering of men from all over the country in August to escalate the movement.
STATEMENT OF V-MEN CONGO At The Launch Of Their Movement In Bukavu At BODEGA On 7 March 2014
We, members of the conceptual framework established as V-Men Congo, concerned with injustice which women are subjected to;
Are aware of the cries of women "where are men?"
Understand that women are our most precious resource, pillar of the family, the basic cell of the Nation, and backbone of the economy. Today, in the twenty-first century, despite their daily struggle, determination and courage, some customs and cultural practices of our retrograde patriarchal societies keep them in an inferior status of second-class citizens and modern slaves. We daily see them carrying heavy burdens, and suffer other degrading practices in our cities and countryside;
CONTINUE reading V-Men Congo Statement in:
V-MEN Congo Launch In The News
- RDC: Des Hommes Fondent Un Groupe Féministe (La Presse) >
- Congolese Men Launch Feminist Group (Independent Online) >
- Bukavu: Lancement Du Mouvement V-Men En Faveur De L’égalité Du Genre (Radio Okapi) >
- República Democrática Del Congo, "El Peor Lugar Del Mundo Para Ser Mujer" (Ultima Hora) >
- Kongolaismiehet Perustivat Feministiryhmän (Helsingin Sanomat) >
- Em Todo O Mundo Mulheres Se Mobilizam Para Defender Igualdade E Direitos (Yahoo Noticias Brasil) >
- Moki V DR Kongo Ustanovili Feministično Gibanje (Slovenian press Agency) >